Communities in three states — Texas, Florida and Georgia — dominate a list of top cities for millennial veterans buying homes, according to Veterans United Home Loans, which calls itself the nation’s largest VA home lender.
Veterans United released a study of the top 30 cities for millennial veterans based on the growth of the use of VA loans.
Texas has four metro areas on the list, followed by Florida and Georgia with three each.
The top metro area was Jacksonville, Florida, according to the study, where VA home loans have grown 228% from 2015 to 2018. Many of the communities highlighted on the list are home to large military installations.
The study defined millennials as anyone born between the years of 1981 and 1996.
“Millennial veterans and service members are using their hard-earned VA loan benefits to jump into the housing market now, instead of being stuck on the sidelines like so many of their civilian counterparts,” said Chris Birk, director of education for Veterans United. “The VA loan program was created 75 years ago to level the playing field and boost access to home ownership for those who serve our country. Today, it’s still fulfilling that original mission and making a huge difference for a new generation.”
The full list of 30 top metros for millennial veterans follows.
- Jacksonville, Florida
- Tampa–St. Petersburg–Clearwater, Florida
- San Antonio, Texas
- New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island
- Hinesville-Fort Stewart, Georgia
- Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, Florida
- Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, Virginia
- Fayetteville, North Carolina
- Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Virginia
- Chicago-Naperville-Joilet, Illinois
- Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, Texas
- Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, Georgia
- St. Louis, Missouri-Illinois
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, Texas
- Baltimore-Towson, Maryland
- Savannah, Georgia
- Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, Arizona
- Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, Washington
- San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, California
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, Pennsylvania-New Jersey-Delaware
- Denver-Aurora, Colorado
- Jacksonville, North Carolina
- Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, Texas
- Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, California
- Kansas City, Missouri-Kansas
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, Nebraska-Iowa
- Clarksville, Tennessee-Kentucky
- Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Massachusetts-New Hampshire
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, California
The full study is available at veteransunited.com.