On September 21, 2018, President Donald Trump signed into law H.R. 5895, the Energy and Water, Legislative Branch, and Military Construction-Veterans Affairs (MILCON-VA) Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year (FY) 2019. The U.S. House of Representatives passed the bill on September 13, while the U.S. Senate passed it on September 12.
H.R. 5895 provides $96.8 billion in MILCON and veterans services discretionary funding. The legislation provides $10.3 billion in MILCON funding for the Department of Defense (DoD), including $190.1 million for the Army National Guard and $129.1 million for the Air National Guard. It also provides $86.5 billion in discretionary funding to the VA, which is $5.0 billion above FY18 levels.
- $8.6 billion for mental health programs for the VA, which includes $206.1 million for suicide prevention outreach
- $14.0 million in additional funds for PFOS/PFOA identification, mitigation, and clean-up costs across DoD
- $348.0 million for opioid treatment and prevention programs for the VA
- $270.0 million for the VA Rural Health Initiative
Army National Guard
- $190.1 million in Army National Guard military construction funding, includes funding for MILCON projects in 8 states
Air National Guard
- $129.1 million in Air National Guard military construction funding, includes funding for MILCON projects in 7 states