Your Monthly Legislative Update
May 2019 Update
Congress has begun consideration of Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 defense legislation. On May 9, the House Appropriations Committee considered and approved its version of the FY20 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs (MILCON-VA) appropriations legislation.
The legislation recommends spending $210.8 million for Army National Guard MILCON (includes funding for projects in 12 states) and $115.9 million for Air National Guard MILCON (includes funding for projects in 3 states). It also recommends spending $217.5 billion for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which includes:
- $80.4 billion for VA medical care to fund treatment for 7 million patients in FY20
- $9.4 billion for mental health services
- $222.0 million for suicide prevention outreach
- $270.0 million for rural health initiatives
- $1.6 billion for VA Electronic Health Record implementation
The legislative staff continues engaging with Members of Congress, Senators, and staff on top NGAUS priorities. As the Congressional defense committees move forward with FY20 defense legislation, NGAUS engagement begins to tailor to Members of Congress and Senators who serve on those committees to better ensure NGAUS priorities are included.