Army Gets Serious About Cutting Staff

NGAUS Washington Report

(Aug. 20, 2013) The Army is about to get smaller. The chief of staff and the civilian leader of the service have made that clear.

Army Secretary John McHugh and Gen. Ray Odierno, the chief of staff, have given their staffs until Sept. 11 to create a plan to trim funding and manning levels by 25 percent at the two-star level and above.

The memo outlining the plan was reported this week by Defense News, which saw the document that was distributed to commands last week.

The memo, as quoted in Defense News, said, “Let there be no mistake, aggregate reductions WILL TAKE PLACE.” It says this reduction is a priority over all other activities.

The effort of the 2013 Army Focus Area Review Group, led by Thomas Hawley, a deputy undersecretary of the Army, is looking at making the reductions to accommodate smaller budget projections for 2015 to 2019.

In the memo, McHugh and Odierno wrote, “To ensure Army readiness at these reduced budget levels, we must make the best and maximum use of every single dollar provided to the Army.”