Weekly Wrap Up
Hope everyone has had an amazing first week of June. Temps may be creeping up in the 80s and 90s across the country, but the average temperature in most Washington, DC offices is hypothermic tundra. That's a fact. The summer snuggie is actually a "thing".
What we've been up to....
- On Monday, we discussed the inane provision from Reps. Betty McCollum (D-MN) and Jack Kingston (R-GA) in the Defense Appropriations Bill that would restrict the way the Department of Defense focuses their recruiting and retention operations, specifically banning the use of recruiting funds to sponsor professional sports, namely NASCAR. Which, as you know, is kind of a big deal for the National Guard because we sponsor analysis of it.
- On Wednesday, we touched on the gloom and doom of sequestration. Not to be taken lightly, this R-and-D game of chicken could seriously devastate the National Guard, who up to this point has not taken any major cuts in the House or Senate bills, and would severely undermine our ability to respond both domestically and abroad.
- On Thursday, we showed you the most adorable picture ever of a 5-year old girl inside a National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk.
What else happened...
- Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Defense (SAC-D) Department of Defense (DoD) Posture Hearing on Wednesday, June 13 beginning at 10:30am in 192 Dirksen. Witnesses will include Leon Panetta, Secretary of Defense, and Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- We LOVE when states come to visit us (and meet with their Congressional delegations too, of course), so we're super excited to welcome Louisiana on Thursday. Our mouths are already watering!